• December 12, 2017, 07:11:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Forum/Membership Maintenance: last completed on Monday 9th November 2015

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video shows Gold Coast police bashing handcuffed dad  (Read 5107 times)

Prickle

• Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
Video shows Gold Coast police bashing handcuffed dad
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »

WHEN Noa Begic clocked off after another long night at work he never imagined he soon would be lying handcuffed in his own blood in the basement of a Gold Coast police station.

The 21-year-old father had just finished a long shift as a chef at a Surfers Paradise restaurant shortly before midnight on January 28 when he decided to head out with friends for a few drinks.

Less than three hours later, after "a few beers and a few shots", he left popular Irish pub Waxy's in high spirits and started singing a song from US hard rockers Rage Against the Machine, when he was approached by police officers on patrol.

"The song is called Take the Power Back," Mr Begic told The Courier-Mail.

"I don't know why I was singing it, but it's not even one of their controversial songs and there was no swearing.

"But these police officers came over and asked to look at my driver's licence.

"Then they just cuffed me."

He said he was led to a police car and repeatedly punched on the short drive back to the Surfers Paradise police station, nestled between kebab shops and strip clubs on Orchid Avenue in the heart of the nightclub strip.

When they arrived in the police station basement, Mr Begic, whose only previous encounter with the law was a drink-driving charge, knew he was in trouble.

"Even in the back of the car I got hit in the head about seven times and they were making racist comments about me and then when we ended up in that basement I knew there was more on the way," he said.

"It was like those movies where you see stuff like that.

"It was very intimidating so of course I was pretty worried and then they ripped in to me again."

Closed-circuit TV footage obtained by The Courier-Mail shows the officers slamming Mr Begic face-first to the ground.

He is then struck with a flurry of knees, elbows and fists before being dragged to his feet and ushered into the back of a nearby police wagon. A short time later, an officer opens the back of the wagon and delivers a series of further punches.

A senior officer, present for most of the incident, then pours a bucket of water over the ground to wash away the victim's blood.

Mr Begic said the beating was brutal, the treatment grossly excessive.

"It's not like I was fighting back or trying to run away," he said. "I was handcuffed and there were four of them.

"I was in some serious pain and really only running on adrenalin to get me through it."

He spent the night in the Southport watchhouse and faced court on charges of public nuisance and obstructing police, to which he plead not guilty. He will face Southport Magistrates Court on April 4.

While he escaped serious physical injury, Mr Begic said he had been depressed and withdrawn since the attack.

But he was gaining courage from making a formal complaint against the police.

"When I got let out of the watchhouse a couple of the officers even looked at me and went, 'whoa, did you want to make a complaint?'

"And at the time I thought there was no point.

"But the more people I have spoken to about what happened to me, the more stories I have heard about it happening to other people.

"It might make them think twice next time they try it with someone else."

Police yesterday said the Ethical Standards Command was investigating a complaint of excessive use of force alleged to have occurred at the Surfers Paradise police station on January 29. The investigation is continuing.

The video has sparked call from civil libertarians for the 'wide culture of police violence' to be investigated by the new head of the Crime and Misconduct Commission 'as his major priority'.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/video-shows-shock-police-bashing-of-young-father/story-e6freoof-1226271313605
SINNERS MCC Brisbane Australia
“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”

PILLS

• Legendary Vent Member
  • 24HR TOWING & BIKE REPAIRS
Re: Video shows Gold Coast police bashing handcuffed dad
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »

ig tough cunts that bash a defencless man id like to square em all up one on one even with my health hope he sues them civaly an gets a heap of bucks all involved should be sacked an charges laid or put in a room with a 4 to 1 ratio of the poor blokes mates
fuckin maggot pedo peices of shit  >:( >:(

NEED ENGINE WORK OR HELP WITH PARTS CALL              RON 0450511192

Prickle

• Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

Video: I was bleeding and dizzy from punches, says man bashed by police

THE victim of a brutal police bashing captured on CCTV at a Gold Coast police station has made the chilling claims the worst of the violence took place out of the camera's view and officers taunted him that his injuries were 'merely a flesh wound'.

Noa Begic, 21, was arrested the early hours of January 29 for being a public nuisance during a night out with friends.

Minutes later he was taken to the basement of Surfers Paradise police station, where surveillance footage obtained by The Courier Mail shows him being beaten bloody.

A senior officer even uses a bucket to wash away a pool of Mr Begic's blood.

The chef and father-of-one has only now watched the footage for the first time.

"It's pretty brutal," he said.

"Unfortunately there wasn't a camera around the corner because it would have shown what happened before we came in to view.

"I was already bleeding from punches when they pulled me out of the squad car.

"The part just before this video starts is where I get a few really good blows to the head so I was already quite dizzy by this stage.

"By the end I was pretty relieved just to make it to the wagon to get out of their grasp."

Even after he was locked in the back of a police wagon it still wasn't over.

An officer returned to deliver a few more punches and the door opens again a short time later.

"He leaned in and called me racist names and said 'it was only a flesh wound'," said Mr Begic.

"By the end you can actually see a pool of blood from my nose and mouth if you look close enough.

"And now you can see him washing away my blood.

"At least they're covering their tracks well."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/video-i-was-bleeding-and-dizzy-from-punches-says-man-bashed-by-police/story-e6freoof-1226271581004

Wasntme

• Vent Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »

Now if this was a group of "bikies" that inflicted this beating the press and the polititicians would howling for new laws to control them and they would be on remand without bail.

I'll bet that the outcome of this is nothing like the above.

And they wander why they have got no credibility.

angry

• Legendary Vent Member
  • 1% 13.
    • Angry's Motorcycle Worx
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »

amazing how , with the advent of cctv etc, these pics have caused a fuss. as anyone can tell you, this is standard operating procedure for 99% of the cops on general duty, this is not new, it happens nightly in any police station, anywhere in the land. the only diffrence is, previously it was hard prove,so you never had a chance making a complaint,and if you did you were harrassed until you withdrew the complaint
"Like us or hate us, you better get used to us".  you can get much more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone. ........Al Capone.

Prickle

• Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »

Police in damage control after bashing leak

QUEENSLAND'S police service has been forced into damage control following explosive leaked footage of officers bashing a handcuffed man and claims of a culture of police violence.

The CCTV footage, obtained by The Courier-Mail, shows a 21-year-old man being slammed face-first into a concrete floor before being hit by officers using their knees, elbows and fists.

It shows the man again being punched a number of times in the back of a police van, and a senior officer throwing a bucket of water on the concrete to wash away the man's blood.

A Gold Coast police officer was stood down and the Crime and Misconduct Commission launched an investigation on Wednesday after the footage surfaced.

Noa Begic told The Courier-Mail he was singing loudly as he left a Gold Coast pub in the early hours of January 29 when police approached him and cuffed him.

Mr Begic claims he was assaulted repeatedly and subjected to racist comments on the drive to Surfers Paradise police station.

He complained to police on February 9 and the service's Ethical Standards Command began an investigation into allegations of excessive force.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said the officer at the centre of the allegations has been taken from operational duties.

The officer is not high-ranking and had come to Queensland police relatively recently from another jurisdiction, Mr Atkinson said.

He pledged to fully investigate the matter and denied claims the Queensland Police Service bred a culture of violence.

"Whilst there's always room for improvement, I don't believe things have gone backwards, okay, and I don't believe we're at a crisis point," he said.

"But I want to reassure you that we take any complaint of excessive force seriously and it's an important issue."

He said police had a tough job that could lead to desensitisation.

"They're dealing with violence and difficult situations over and over and sometimes their judgment can be frayed," he said, adding that punching someone in the head was sometimes justified.

"It would depend on the circumstances," he said.

Queensland Council for Civil Liberties spokesman Terry O'Gorman said the episode reflected a "significant problem" within the Queensland Police Service.

It was the third such incident to be captured on camera in recent years, he said.

Mr O'Gorman cited the cases of a tourist who had a fire-hose shoved down her throat at Airlie Beach, and of a homeless man who was bashed in Brisbane's mall.

"It shows that amongst certain police there's a culture of impunity, that you can assault and there's no consequences," he said.

"And it also throws up the very worrying question: if that sort of behaviour is occurring when they know CCTV cameras are there, what's happening when there's no CCTV cameras?"

Queensland Police Union president Ian Leavers said it would be inappropriate to comment because charges against Mr Begic were still before the courts.

"However, the police union fully supports all police involved and we look forward to the chance to make public all facts of this matter in due course," he said in a statement to AAP.

Mr Begic says he intends to plead not guilty to charges of public nuisance and obstructing police, with the matter due in the Southport Magistrates Court on April 4.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/police-in-damage-control-after-bashing-leak/story-e6frea73-1226272136686

Prickle

• Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »

Video: I was bleeding and dizzy from punches, says man bashed by police

AN officer has been stood down from operational duties and the CMC is investigating after The Courier-Mail exposed the brutal police bashing of a handcuffed man on the Gold Coast.

Footage obtained by The Courier-Mail shows four officers with young dad and chef Noa Begic in the basement of Surfers Paradise police station, where he is kneed and punched while his hands are cuffed behind his back.

Watch the extended cut of the brutal encounter here.

Mr Begic, 21, has pleaded not guilty to charges of public nuisance and obstructing police – saying he was arrested for singing in the street after having a few drinks with friends.

The bashing happened about two weeks ago.

Today, Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said the incident had been subject to investigation since February 6, although the officer was only stood down from operational duties today.

He said the disciplinary action was not a result of media coverage.

Mr Atkinson said officers on the Gold Coast are called on to deal with a higher rate of public nuisance offences – and that sometimes punching someone in the head is "justified’’.

He said a third of Gold Coast police officers are assaulted in the line of duty and of the 600 to 700 complaints against police officers made each year, most are unsubstantiated.

You have to police according to the circumstances, Mr Atkinson said.

“People can become desensitised when dealing with violence and difficult situations over and over,” he said.

“Sometimes their judgment can be frayed.”

When asked if punching somebody in the head could be justified, Mr Atkinson said “of course”.

“It would depend on the circumstances and as to whether that use of force – punching someone in the head – was necessary and justifiable.”

Commissioner Bob Atkinson appeals for police officer to come forward.

Earlier, the victim of the brutal police bashing captured on CCTV at a Gold Coast police station made the chilling claims the worst of the violence took place out of the camera's view and officers taunted him that his injuries were "merely a flesh wound".

Noa Begic, 21, was arrested in the early hours of January 29 for being a public nuisance during a night out with friends.

Minutes later he was taken to the basement of Surfers Paradise police station, where surveillance footage obtained by The Courier Mail shows him being beaten bloody.

A senior officer even uses a bucket to wash away a pool of Mr Begic's blood.

The chef and father-of-one has only now watched the footage for the first time.

"It's pretty brutal," he said.

"Unfortunately there wasn't a camera around the corner because it would have shown what happened before we came in to view.

"I was already bleeding from punches when they pulled me out of the squad car.

"The part just before this video starts is where I get a few really good blows to the head so I was already quite dizzy by this stage.

"By the end I was pretty relieved just to make it to the wagon to get out of their grasp."

Even after he was locked in the back of a police wagon it still wasn't over.

An officer returned to deliver a few more punches and the door opens again a short time later.

"He leaned in and called me racist names and said 'it was only a flesh wound'," said Mr Begic.

"By the end you can actually see a pool of blood from my nose and mouth if you look close enough.

"And now you can see him washing away my blood.

"At least they're covering their tracks well."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/video-i-was-bleeding-and-dizzy-from-punches-says-man-bashed-by-police/story-e6freoof-1226271581004

PILLS

• Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »

heard on the news mins ago the cops are sayin its self defence cause the young fella tried biteing an spitting on them wat a joke 4 against one an in handcuffs wats the poor bugga spose to do just take it all should be stood down an the senior cunt should be sacked for covering up the evidence fuck this shit makes my blood boil i got many hideings over the yrs from cops some i paid back big time but itll never change they think they can do watever they want when ever they want no wonder they are called maggots

angry

• Legendary Vent Member
  • 1% 13.
    • Angry's Motorcycle Worx
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »

he musta been a hand full that young bloke, four coppers=4tasers+4capsicum sprays+4glocks, and all they could manage to do was punch him in the head. bullshit. it was a straight out typical police work over. standard operating procedure.happens every day
"Like us or hate us, you better get used to us".  you can get much more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone. ........Al Capone.

Prickle

• Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »

Police to claim Gold Coast bashing victim Noa Begic slipped and fell

POLICE will describe the shocking bashing of a young man in the basement of a Gold Coast police station as "a brief struggle".

CCTV footage showing officers manhandling, kneeing and punching 21-year-old chef Noa Begic at Surfers Paradise police station has gone viral since it was obtained by The Courier-Mail last week.
See CCTV footage of the bashing

One of the officers involved already has been pulled from frontline duties while a joint Ethical Standards Command and Crime and Misconduct Commission investigation is under way. Police are also investigating how The Courier-Mail obtained the video.

The newspaper has obtained a copy of the official charge sheet, with the arresting officers painting a different picture of what happened in the early hours of January 29.

The police statement reports Mr Begic landed face-first on the basement floor because he slipped out of the hands of officers and fell over.

"The defendant planted his feet ... and pushed towards police in a rapid movement which caused police to lose hold of the defendant," the statement reads. "The defendant then fell to the ground."

According to police, Mr Begic then stood up and continued resisting so violently he again fell, dragging officers down with him, despite their repeated instructions to "stop resisting".

"After a brief struggle the defendant was secured in a prisoner transport van," the statement continued.

There is no mention of the flurry of punches that followed once Mr Begic was placed in the back of the wagon. The court brief lists the CCTV footage as evidence to support a charge of obstructing police.

Police also will call upon footage from Gold Coast City Council cameras in the area where the arrest took place.

It will be alleged Mr Begic was at the corner of Cavill Ave and Orchid Ave about 3.10am with a group of friends when he was approached by police for swearing loudly in reference to two other officers.

The police statement alleges Mr Begic refused to answer questions and laughed loudly at police "on two occasions". He was arrested on a charge of public nuisance relating to his indecent language and escorted to a nearby police car where his "abusive, indecent language and aggressive behaviour" escalated as he demanded to know why he had been arrested.

Mr Begic, who is considering a civil lawsuit against police, will face court in April charged with public nuisance and obstructing police.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/police-to-claim-bashing-victim-slipped-and-fell/story-e6freon6-1226275307139

PILLS

• Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »

4 cops couldnt stop him from ALLEGEDLY falling wat a crock of shit liein dog cunts sgould be smashed i hope he does go the civil ways  >:( >:(

Prickle

• Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »

Police say chef fell during arrest

POLICE will describe the alleged bashing of a young chef in the basement of a Gold Coast police station as "a brief struggle".

CCTV footage showing what appears to be officers manhandling and punching 21-year-old Noa Begic at Surfers Paradise police station on January 29 has gone viral since it was obtained last week.

One of the officers involved has been pulled from frontline duties while a joint Ethical Standards Command and Crime and Misconduct Commission investigation is under way. Police are also investigating how the video was obtained, The Courier-Mail reports.

In the official charge sheet the arresting officers state Mr Begic landed face-first on the basement floor because he slipped out of the hands of officers and fell over.

"The defendant planted his feet ... and pushed towards police in a rapid movement which caused police to lose hold of the defendant," the police statement reads. "The defendant then fell to the ground."

There is no mention of the flurry of punches that followed once Mr Begic was placed in the back of the wagon. The court brief lists the CCTV footage as evidence to support a charge of obstructing police.

Police will call upon footage from Gold Coast City Council cameras in the area where the arrest took place.

It will be alleged Mr Begic was at the corner of Cavill Ave and Orchid Ave about 3.10am with a group of friends when he was approached by police for swearing loudly in reference to two other officers.

Mr Begic, who is considering a civil lawsuit against police, will face court in April charged with public nuisance and obstructing police.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/02/20/392421_crime-and-court-news.html

El Diablo

• Senior Vent Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »

The Filth ... half doing the crime ... the other half covering it up ...
Forever Two Wheels

cliffy

• Junior Vent Member
  • cliffy
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »

IF THAY BRING IN THESE LAWS THAY ARE TRYING TO THERE WILL BE ALOT MORE OF THIS CRAP GOING ON.
FTW
Pages: [1]   Go Up