• February 19, 2018, 11:34:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search


Forum/Membership Maintenance: last completed on Monday 9th November 2015

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Coast police under examination after the death of a man in a suspected drug  (Read 852 times)


  • Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
  • *****
  • Karma: 44
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17733

Gold Coast police under examination after the death of a man in a suspected drug death have denied colluding

A TEAM of elite Gold Coast cops have been accused of colluding with each other to fabricate a story after the death of a man at a Miami unit in 2015, a court has heard.

The suggestion made by barrister Philip Beale during a coronial inquiry into the death of Charlie Robertson yesterday was vehemently denied by Senior Constable Grant Watkins.

The senior constable was one of seven Rapid Action Patrol Group officers involved in an early-morning raid on a suspected Miami drug den on June 13, 2015 who discovered Mr Robertson on a bed in the unit.

“You’ve told the court that you thought he was in a really deep sleep at this time,” Mr Beale said.

“I suggest to you it was decided … he was ‘just pissed’.

“That’s what you all agreed to and you all put in your fabricated statements that you all did together.”

Senior Constable Watkins replied: “There was no discussion into that.”

Robertson allegedly died from a drug overdose hours after police were unable to rouse him early on the morning of the raid.

Officers claimed they thought the man was in a deep sleep and left him in the unit with three 16-year-old girls.

In cross examination at Southport Court yesterday, Mr Beale questioned the officer’s claims that Robertson had opened his eyes during the 2015 raid.

“It became part of the concoction that it should be suggested that he’d actually woken up,” Mr Beale said.

“No,” replied Senior Constable Watkins.

During a search under the bed Robertson was laying on, Senior Constable Watkins said he lifted the mattress high in the air to look underneath while another officer held Robertson so he did not fall.

Senior Constable Watkins said while his legs came off the bed, at no point did Robertson end up on the floor.

The court also heard from Senior Constable Ian Taylor who was the highest ranking officer in the 2015 raid and was demoted from the rank of Sergeant for a period of six months as a result of disciplinary inquiries made into Robertson’s death.

Senior Constable Taylor said that in the process of Watkins searching the bed, Robertson ended up on the ground.

The officer said he then instructed two officers to put Robertson back on the bed and leave him in a recovery position.

When asked by Mr Beale yesterday if they saw any blood on the inside of Robertson’s ear, both Senior Constable Taylor and Senior Constable Watkins said they did not.

The inquest continues today.

SINNERS MCC Brisbane Australia
“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up