• November 19, 2017, 10:04:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Forum/Membership Maintenance: last completed on Monday 9th November 2015

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boxing wrap: Jarrod Fletcher to join Daniel Geale, Paul Gallen, Anthony Watts at  (Read 1433 times)

Prickle

  • Forum Moderator
  • Legendary Vent Member
  • *****
  • Karma: 44
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17425

Boxing wrap: Jarrod Fletcher to join Daniel Geale, Paul Gallen, Anthony Watts at Newstead gym

NUDGEE’S Commonwealth Games gold medallist Jarrod Fletcher will come face to face with his old mate and new enemy Daniel Geale in Brisbane today when the former world middleweight champ hits town with Blues enforcer Paul Gallen.

Geale and Gallen will hold a public workout at Fletcher’s Fortitude Gym in Newstead from 1pm today to promote the Geale-Fletcher fight in Sydney on December 3.

Fletcher and former NRL player and one-time bikie Anthony Watts will train at the gym at noon.

Watts warmed up for his fight with Blues Origin skipper Gallen next month with the briefest preparation, knocking out novice Nick Williamson in 29 seconds at Jupiters Casino two weeks ago in his first pro fight.

VIDEO: Daniel Geale spars with Jarrod Fletcher <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HwBdql9jXyg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HwBdql9jXyg</a>

Fletcher has been sparring former world-rated middleweight Les Sherrington and unbeaten London Olympian Jeff Horn, described by Danny Green as the hottest prospect in the country.

``It’s a do or die opportunity to fight Gealey in Australia,’’ Fletcher said after a morning run around Nudgee Cemetery.

``Training is going great. I did 10 rounds with Les on Monday morning at 10.30 so it was nice and hot and hard work.

``I’ve known Gealey since 2001 when we were roommates at the Australian Institute of Sport. There are no secrets about his style that I don’t know. We’ve sparred hundreds of rounds together over the years.

``There are no obvious chinks in his armour. I just have to be super-fit and maintain the pressure on him all the way. I have to outwork him and I know it’s a big job because he has a massive work rate.

``But I feel really good and confident.’’

Both fighters are desperate to get back into the win column after losing world title bouts within a fortnight of each other in New York. Geale was stopped by Kazakhstan’s Gennady Golovkin in July and Fletcher went down to American Daniel Jacobs.

Gallen will be a red-hot favourite to beat Watts on the undercard, having stopped the capable Herman Ene Purcell from Toowoomba in two rounds in his lone professional fight in February.

FENECH SAYS LUCAS BROWNE COULD WIN HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

AUSTRALIA’S top-rated heavyweight Lucas ``Big Daddy’’ Browne is ready to win the WBC or WBA world heavyweight title right now, according to trainer Jeff Fenech.

Browne, 35, a former cage fighter, is now unbeaten in 22 fights with 19 KOs following his demolition of Kiwi-based American Chauncy Welliver in five rounds on the Mundine-Rabchenko undercard last week.

He is the Commonwealth titleholder and ranked No. 5 for the WBC heavyweight title held by American-based Haitian Bermane Stiverne.

The WBA title is held by Uzbekistan’s Sydney Olympian Ruslan Chagaev, who holds a points win over Aussie Kali Meehan while the WBA Interim title is held by Florida-based Cuban Luis Ortiz.

``Lucas is a chance to beat any of those guys,’’ Fenech told me.

``They are good fighters but they are not (world No. 1) Wladimir Klitschko. They’re all beatable when you consider Lucas’s power.

``I was very happy with his win over Welliver. He’s growing in confidence and really starting to believe in himself.

``When he punches in bunches he is truly awesome. I’ve said many times that I trained Mike Tyson and Lucas’s punches are much heavier.

``(Promoter) Ricky Hatton is talking about Lucas fighting for the WBA Interim title. So far he’s had limited sparring and training but I said to Ricky `imagine how good this guy will be if he has a proper six-week training camp with really good quality sparring partners from overseas.’

``I really believe Lucas can be Australia’s first world heavyweight champ.’’

HATTON NOT HAPPY WITH MUNDINE DECISION

ANTHONY Mundine restored some of Australia’s standing in international boxing with his stirring win over Sergey Rabchenko in Melbourne last week.

His close points victory follows the recent defeats on the world stage of Aussies Sam Soliman, Daniel Geale, Blake Caparello, Jarrod Fletcher, Sakio Bika, Daniel Dawson, Joel Brunker and last week, Diana Prazak, who was stopped in nine rounds against WBC world female lightweight champ Delfine Persoon in Belgium.

VIDEO: Mundine talks about big win <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vwix6tucHdk#t=21" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vwix6tucHdk#t=21</a>

Mundine made good on his promise to give Australian boxing mouth to mouth by showing great skill and courage against the world No. 2 junior-middleweight.

Not everyone was happy with the result, though.

Rabchenko’s trainer, British great Ricky Hatton, called the decision ``a stitch up.’’ A Swiss judge gave the fight to Rabchenko while two Australian judges voted for Mundine.

Hatton claimed Rabchenko outworked Mundine for much of the fight and hurt him several times in the later rounds.

``It wasn’t the worst decision I’ve seen but no way did Sergey lose the fight,” Hatton said from his home in Manchester.

``I felt Sergey won more of the rounds and he had a knockdown (in Round 10) that wasn’t scored as well. Sergey shook Mundine to his boots and in no way did he throw Anthony to the canvas. He hit the floor due to the punches that were landed.

``There were also several times when Sergey landed perfectly good punches only for Mundine to turn his back and complain to the referee that they were behind the head when they weren’t.

``Those things influence the judges because they mean that legal shots weren’t scored.

``I love Australia and I can’t wait to go back, but two Melbourne judges and the referee didn’t help our case. I’m complaining because I feel well and truly stitched up.”

Hatton still conceded that Mundine surprised him with his performance.

``I have to make it clear my admiration for Anthony Mundine has risen even further,” Hatton said.

``At 39 years old and after a heavy defeat in his last outing (against Joshua Clottey) that performance was outstanding to say the least and I take my hat off to him. What a unique and talented individual.”

KALI MEEHAN SAYS HE WON’T LET BIG CHANCE GET AWAY

KALI Meehan let the opportunity of a lifetime slip through his dangerous hands when he fought WBO heavyweight champ Lamon Brewster in Las Vegas a decade ago and the big Australian is determined not to make the same mistake this weekend.

Meehan, 44, a world-class heavyweight for a decade and a half, fights New Zealand slugger Shane Cameron in Auckland on Saturday night. Meehan’s son, Roosters second-rower Willis Meehan, is due to appear on the undercard.

VIDEO: Kali and Willis Meehan prepare http://tvnz.co.nz/othersports-news/father-and-son-boxing-duo-ready-super-eight-video-6130550

Back in 2004 Meehan had world champ Brewster out on his feet in the eighth round but let the big American puncher escape and eventually lost a whisper-thin split decision.

He says he won’t make the same mistake on Saturday night at the North Shore Events Centre against a fighter best known in Australia for his spirited performance against Danny Green two years ago.

``I have a lot of edges over Shane,’’ Meehan said, ``the height, the reach, power and speed but no matter what edges you have it all comes down to the two men on the night. Luck is involved but you make your own luck with preparation.

``I have a sense of what their game plan will be — go it to the body and take me to the later rounds. But I’ll be there in the later rounds. I’m fit, I’m ready.’’

The big fight will be preceded by a battle between New Zealand’s world-rated cruiserweight David Aloua and Wagga Wagga slaughterman Anthony McCracken and a Super 8 cruiserweight last-man-standing event topped by Commonwealth Games gold medallist Brad Pitt and former Australian champ Daniel Ammann.

HOGAN HERO AFTER VICTORY IN NEW YORK

BRISBANE’S Irish-born world-beater Dennis Hogan is set to return to America for another fight in January after winning his US debut in Westbury, New York last week.

Hogan stopped Colombian Jose Miguel Rodriguez Berrio in three rounds after the South American was repeatedly warned for holding against the rugged junior-middleweight from Kildare.

Hogan, 29, is now unbeaten in 21 fights and ranked No. 12 for the WBA title held by Floyd Mayweather.

He is hoping to face Australian champion Shannon ``Shaggy’’ King in Brisbane in March.

TWO AUSSIES ON PACQUIAO CARD

AUSTRALIA will be well represented on the undercard when Filipino great Manny Pacquiao tackles American Chris Algieri in Macau this weekend.

With a $160 million fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather still brewing for next year, Pacquiao will be fired up to make a big impression at the sold out 16,000-seat Cotai Arena at the Venetian Resort.

Unbeaten Melbourne junior-middleweight Steve Attard will fight Macau local Kuok Kun Ng on the undercard while Melbourne-based Kiwi light-heavyweight Andrew Robinson faces Qu Peng, from Da Liam, China.

The Aussies get their chance after matchmaker Bruce Trampler asked Melbourne manager Peter Maniatis to provide quality opponents for the undercard.

``Our guys will experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to show their talent on the biggest stage in the world,’’ Maniatis said.

Algieri, a huge underdog despite a 20-0 record, snared the Pacquiao fight with a thrilling victory over Siberian tiger Ruslan Provodnikov in Brooklyn in June, climbing off the canvas twice in the opening round to win a split decision and the WBO light-welterweight title.

BRAD HORE READY TO ROCK

CALOUNDRA’S two-time Olympian Brad Hore says his work for Indigenous program Deadly Choices is inspiring him to power ahead with his professional boxing career.

He faces Indonesian flyweight John Bajawa on Saturday week at the Grand Hotel in Yamanto on a big card showcasing Queensland’s rising stars.

Hore, 33, works with former Broncos hooker Ian Lacey, telling schoolchildren to make healthy lifestyle choices and eat well.

The card also sees sizzling light-middleweight Liam Hutchinson against Thai underdog Pramool Boonpok and Paul Gallen victim Herman Ene Purcell against tough Rhys Sullivan.

PADDY MURPHY CHASING REMATCH WITH RIVAN CESAIRE

TOUGH Irish-born Paddy Murphy will chase a rematch with Australian welterweight champ Rivan Cesaire after their fight of the year at the Sleeman Centre in Chandler last week.

The fight was a cracker with a bloodied Murphy rising from the canvas in Round 3 to give a wholehearted effort over 10 rounds before losing a decision.

Already a huge hit with Brisbane’s Irish community, Murphy only enhanced his reputation as a fighter with courage to spare against the tough and slippery Melbourne-based fighter from Cameroon.

KRISTY HARRIS OPENS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH A WIN

GEELONG’S Kristy Harris was in cracking form in her opening 51kg fight against Sri Lanka’s Dulani Anuradha Jayasinghe Arachchi at the world women’s amateur titles in Jeju, South Korea this week.

``That was my first fight since the (Glasgow 2014) Commonwealth Games and I know I was slow to get going,’’ she told reporter Emily Goddard.

``But I soon worked out my opponent’s favourite punches and adapted from there in the rest of the contest.’’

Kristy, 21, who trains at the Collingwood Boxing Club in Melbourne, works as a personal assistant for Melbourne barrister and amateur boxer Simone Bailey.

Kristy’s victory in Korea was followed by an emphatic triumph by Commonwealth Games gold medallist Shelley Watts of Laurieton, NSW over hometown hero Jina Park.

PARKER, HORN FACE BRAZILIAN BRUISERS

KIWI world No. 10 heavyweight Joseph Parker will face Brazil’s WBO No. 15 Irineu Beato Costa Junior on December 6 in Hamilton, New Zealand.

The powerful Brazilian is coming off his first defeat, a 12-round decision loss against German Christian Hammer.

Brisbane’s world-rated welterweight Jeff Horn faces Brazilian Robson Assis on the same card while former Warriors league star Monty Betham tackles rugby great Carlos Spencer.

Parker’s opponent has a 15-1 record, with 13 KOs, 11 inside the first two rounds.

Beato is the second top 15 world rated opponent Parker will face this year after beating WBO No. 12 Brian Minto in July.

LENNOX LEWIS IMPRESSED BY ANOTHER KLITSCHKO BLOWOUT

LENNOX LEWIS, one of the great heavyweights of all time, was an interested observer as Wladimir Klitschko tore apart Bulgarian bear Kubrat Pulev in five rounds to retain his world heavyweight title in Hamburg on the weekend.

It was Klitschko’s first fight since he stopped Logan’s Alex Leapai in five in April and he was in even more devastating form.

VIDEO: Wladimi Klitschko stops Kubrat Pulev

Pulev had an excellent record of 20 straight wins compiled against good opposition but Klitschko never gave him a chance.

Lewis, who stopped Klitschko’s brother Vitali on a cut eye when trailing on points, tweeted: ``Easy work for @Klitschko against a one dimensional bruiser. Want to see him face the best division has to offer tho. He still wins tho!’’

American knucklehead Shannon Briggs, who invaded the Leapai-Klitschko press conference and has since dogged Klitschko all over the world — hitting him with a shoe and then knocking him off his wakeboard in Florida — was ringside for the fight. Security stopped him from getting too close to the champ.

SEX CHANGE DRAMA FOR BRITISH PROMOTER

THE final sex change operation for Kellie Maloney, formerly known as Frank Maloney, was cancelled last week after the British boxing promoter stopped breathing for more than an hour during facial reconstruction surgery.

Kellie, 61, was kept alive with an emergency respirator.

The flamboyant agent, who took Lennox Lewis to the top of the world and fathered three daughters from two marriages, is 18 months into gender reassignment.

The Sun newspaper last week reported that doctors cancelled genital and breast surgery to complete Kellie’s transition, saying it was too dangerous.

HEAPS OF PHOTOS ON LINK
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/boxing-wrap-jarrod-fletcher-to-join-daniel-geale-paul-gallen-anthony-watts-at-newstead-gym/story-fni2fnkz-1227129044822?nk=bbaaede4f63da804bc1c52014f7105e0
Logged
SINNERS MCC Brisbane Australia
“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”

greenkma.

  • Moderator
  • Junior Vent Member
  • *****
  • Karma: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 395
    • KMA Boxing Australia

Great to have you on board KMA Boxing  8)
Logged

El Diablo

  • Senior Vent Member
  • ****
  • Karma: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2158
Logged
Forever Two Wheels
Pages: [1]   Go Up